Tuesday, October 1, 2013

If at first you don't succeed....

Many years ago my sister-in-law taught me how to crochet and I loved it! Now mind you I still only do simple things, doilies, hats, ect. but it's something I like to do. Around that same time frame I came to know another gal who not only crocheted, but also knitted. She made beautiful things and she tried her best to teach me, but I just never could get the hang of it. I kept my knitting needles for years thinking maybe one day I'd try it again, but then eventually donated it all to our thrift store.

Yesterday one of the gals I work with came in to show me her latest scarf...OMG!! It was gorgeous! She is also a knitter and can whip out those twirly scarves like nobody's business. I love her twirly scarves, but not enough to try knitting all over again, however, when I seen that one yesterday I was determined to give it one more go!! It was made with the Red Heart ribbon yarn and as it's knitted it falls in layers up and around the scarf...I had to try it, so I ran to our Walmart on my lunch and grabbed some knitting needles and a skein of the Sashay since our store doesn't carry the ribbon of course...arrrgh!! Pat had assured me time and time again I could do the twirlies so figured I might as well start there and see what happens.

I took my needles and yarn down to her classroom during our planning period yesterday to have her show me how to begin, but alas, she was out to another class. Thank goodness though, the other gal was in the room and knew how to get me started (she's also a crafter of many trades!)...thanks Deb!!

I'd like to be able to tell you that I just took off like a wild fire and have that scarf all whipped up and ready to wear...NOPE!! I've had to restart three times!! Mainly because my hands are just down right clumsy working these needles and I'm dropping stitches, adding stitches, and well...just plain losing the things right off the needles! BUT!! I intend to persevere!!

I've managed to make it several rounds now without losing, dropping, or otherwise messing the thing up and I'm learning as I go (like not to get too tight!). It may not turn out to be the prettiest scarf around, but hopefully it will BE a scarf in some sense of the word!! It may take me a month to get through the skein, but I will get there! It's been 30 years since I made my first attempt at knitting, but I am bound and determined I will make at least one of those scarves and who knows...I may get the hang of this enough that I can also whip out several varieties! So, "if at first you don't succeed" go back and try it again, even if it is 30 years later!!


No comments:

Post a Comment