Friday, August 23, 2013

Sally's tomatoes and cukes

If by chance you're like me and ended up with plenty of tomatoes this year it may be that right about now you're getting a little tired of all those red orbs that seem to be stacking up all over the house....and the back porch! Hubs and I have been eating tomatoes at just about every meal. I've also canned tomatoes...and salsa...and pizza sauce. Yeah, it was a good year for tomatoes here on the 40! I've given to my daughter, the daughter-in-law, the sister-in-law, and a couple nieces and I'm sure I'll be picking again tomorrow evening. 
During a chat with the sister-in-law last night we were talking about tomatoes and how we eat them...well, naturally that triggered a memory for me and a "sort of kind of" recipe that I got from my good friend Sally Wood.

Sally and I met at college, which was not so very long ago. She and I were "late lifers"...we raised our kids and done all the other stuff BEFORE we went to college. While we weren't the oldest ones in class, we were both certainly more "seasoned" than most of them! We wound up one session in the same Psychology class and it wasn't long before we became fast friends. During one of our all night study sessions at Sally's house (that truly was ALL night), she fixed up this bowl of tomatoes and cucumbers. Maybe I was just starving from all that Algebra and Behavioral Statistics, but these were really good and now I make a bowl every chance I get. Just about everyone in my family loves them and they make a great side for church dinners too.


It's simple, easy, and quick:

1 bottle of Kraft Zesty Italian dressing
1-2 cucumbers (depending on size)
6-8 firm tomatoes 

Slice the cucumbers and cut the tomatoes into small wedges. Cover with Italian dressing;stir, then allow to marinate, covered, in the fridge for a few hours. That's it! 


I've only made one change to Sally's recipe...if memory serves correctly she always used House Italian, which is very good, but I soon discovered Zesty Italian and really like the extra "punch" it gives, but if all you have is regular Italian, they're just as good that way as well. As with anything, the longer it marinates the better it is!


~Patti
(and yes! that's a pic of my own tomatoes and cukes!!lol

No comments:

Post a Comment